Causes and Symptoms of Low Sugar
Symptoms of Low Sugar and Causes of Low Sugar: Hypoglycemia can be defined as a decrease in the level of sugar or glucose (in English: Glucose) below the normal blood level, that is, less than 72 mg/dl. Low blood sugar is not a disease in itself, but rather a symptom that may indicate A number of health problems in the body, and glucose sugar is used to produce energy in the body, and because of the inability of the brain to store sugar and its continuous need for energy, the percentage of sugar should not be less than the normal level in the blood.
Symptoms of Low Sugar
Symptoms of Low Sugar and Causes of Low Sugar – Symptoms of low blood sugar levels usually appear suddenly, and in some cases, no symptoms or signs of low blood sugar may appear on the person, and it should be noted that hypoglycemia is considered a normal health emergency, as it may lead to seizures Nervousness, or coma, so in the event that a person suffers from low blood sugar, especially peoples with diabetics, care must be takens to eating an easy digestible sources of sugars, such as juice, honeys and sugar, and if person has lost consciousnesss , he willn’t be given any food or drink Glucagon (b English: Glucagon) to raise the level of sugar in his blood, and among the symptoms that may indicate a decrease in the level of blood sugar than the normal rate, we mention the following:
Noticing pale skin and excessive sweating.
- Inflammation of the eye.
- Sudden mood swings and panic.
- Feeling tired and tired.
- Feeling hungry.
- Suffering from headaches.
- Tremor, feeling the tingling of the skin.
- Suffering from difficulty sleeping.
- Having problems thinking and difficulty concentrating.
- Increased heart rate.
- Causes of low sugar
Causes of low sugar
The use of medicines intended to treat diabetes is the most common reason for a low level of sugar than the normal rate, as insulin and some other types of drugs reduce the level of sugar in the blood, and in the event of obtaining a high dose of these drugs the level of sugar decreases significantly, Symptoms of Low Sugar level in body and Causes of Low Sugar and it can also decrease Blood sugar should be caused by not eating sufficient quantities of food, or exercising at a rate higher than usual. It is worth noting that there are a number of other causes not related to diabetes that may lead to a decrease in the level of sugar as well, including the following:
- Alcohol intake: As consuming alcohol without eating meals, the liver stops producing glucose from the glucose stored in it into the bloodstream, which leads to a decrease in the level of sugar.
- Medicines: As some medicines lead to a decrease in the level of sugar in the blood, especially in children and people with kidney failure, one of these drugs is Quinines, which is the used to a treats malaria.
- Deficiency of some hormones: Some hormones work to regulate the level of sugar in the blood, and in the event of suffering from deficiency in the glands responsible for the production of these hormones, a person may experience a decrease in the level of sugar.
- Excess insulin production: Some rare tumors may lead to an increase in the production of insulin hormone in the body, which leads to a decrease in blood sugar, such as insulin and pancreatic islet tumor.
- Infection with one of the critical diseases: such as kidney disease, severe liver disease, and health conditions that lead to the inability to eat food for long periods such as Anorexia nervosa
Prevention of low sugar: Symptoms of Low Sugar and Causes of Low Sugar
There are a number of different methods that can help prevent low blood sugar, and some of them are described below: Signs and symptoms of low sugar:
- Measuring the percentage of sugar regularly: In the event of diabetes, Symptoms of Low Sugar and Causes of Low Sugar care must be taken to regularly measure the percentage of sugar in order to prevent a significant drop in sugar. Also, the proportion of sugar should be measured if a number of symptoms that may indicate a lower level of sugar than the normal rate are observed.
- Organizing meals: As eating meals at regular times helps prevent low blood sugar, in addition to the need to eat a snack before leaving the house if the sugar percentage is less than 100 mg / dl, and the date of the other meal was after a period of more than five Hours.
- Measuring the percentage of sugar before exercising: Exercising may lead to a decrease in the sugar rate very quickly as a result of consuming a large amount of energy. Therefore, care must be taken to measure the percentage of sugar before exercising and eating a snack rich in carbohydrates before starting the exercises. The desire to exercise for a period of more than an hour, be sure to eat a snack during exercises.
- Follow the doctor’s instructions: Be sure to follow the doctor’s instructions in terms of the amount of food, diet, and dose of medications that are prescribed to the sick person.
- Informing other people: In the event of one of the health problems that may increase the chance of a decrease in blood sugar, care must be taken to inform the acquaintances and friends, to know how to behave in the event of a hypoglycemic attack, and care must also be taken to carry an easily eatable type of diabetes. All the time, these people can also put a small ID card on the hand, so that the patient’s condition in the health centers can be easily identified in case of emergency admission. Video about the treatment of hypoglycemia.
Causes of low sugar
Low level of sugar
Low blood sugar or hypoglycemia is known as low blood glucose (Hypoglycemia) in normal blood levels, and this condition occurs when its levels drop to less than 70 mg / dL, and glucose sugar is the main source of energy in the body, which It is obtained from various diets, so low blood sugar levels affect many vital processes in the body, which leads to the emergence of a number of different symptoms for a person in the event of a low level of sugar; including rapid heartbeat, sudden nervousness, and unexplained fatigue, Scarcity B skin, headache, tremors, numbness, dizziness, blurred vision, and increased sweating, and cases of severe hypoglycemia also require medical intervention and immediate treatment to prevent the development of any health complications on the individual, and it should be noted that low blood sugar is It is more common in people with type 1 diabetes because they use antihypertensive drugs, especially insulin injections, to treat high blood sugar, but low blood sugar may occur in people without diabetes. In a number of cases as well.
The reasons for the low level of sugar
There are many different reasons that may lead to a low level of sugar in the blood, and we, therefore, call for the need to see a doctor in order to discover the cause that led to this situation, as failure to take the necessary measures to control the cause may lead to a recurrence of hypoglycemia, and it is possible Some of these causes are explained as follows:
Diabetics who use insulin or oral medications that stimulate insulin production, such as Sulfonylureas, are susceptible to low blood sugar in some cases, including the following:
- The amount of carbohydrates intake is not appropriate for the dosage: The digestive system breaks down sugars and starches to get glucose sugar, and when it enters the bloodstream it raises the level of blood sugar, and therefore not eating enough carbohydrates in proportion to the medications, this may cause low blood sugar.
- Not eating meals or delaying eating them: some people may neglect to eat their meals or may delay them a lot for the period during which they are eaten, and low sugar may occur when the person is asleep and did not eat his meals for long hours.
- Increased physical activity: Exercising more than usual may result in low blood glucose for up to 24 hours after exercising.
- Passing satisfactory periods: The person may be unable to eat a lot of food when he is sick which may cause low blood glucose.
- Use of diabetes medication in overdoses: using a higher dose than the one prescribed by your doctor for the above-mentioned medications.
- Wrong injection of insulin: such as injecting into the muscle instead of injecting it in the correct way under the skin. It is worth noting that using the type of insulin that is not appropriate for the patient may cause low blood sugar, and therefore it is worth paying attention to the need to use the type prescribed by the doctor.
- Use of diabetes medications along with other medicines: There are a number of medications that do not lead to a decrease in blood sugar from the normal level if they are used separately, but if used with other drugs used in the treatment of diabetes, they may lead to a decrease in sugar, such as one Allopurinol and Warfarin. It is worth noting that some types of medications used to treat diabetes do not cause hypoglycemia unless it is used with sulfonylurea or insulin, including biguanide drugs. In English: Biguanides), and thiazolidinedione.
Read More: Metabolism Fast Diet
Other general reasons
Some types of medication
There are a group of medications that are not specialized in treating diabetes, which may lead to a decrease in blood sugar levels than normal in some cases, including the following:
- Indomethacin, one of the pain relievers.
- Beta-blockers: such as Atenolol and the use of an overdose of Propanolol.
- Some medicines used to treat heart arrhythmia, such as Quinidine.
- Some medications used to treat certain types of infection, such as Quinine, Gatifloxacin, and Pentamidine
Although alcoholic drinks contain a high percentage of sugar, consuming alcohol in some cases may lead to suffering from a decrease in the natural sugar level in the blood through several different methods, where alcohol affects the liver’s ability to supply blood with stored sugar, which leads to Reduced sugar, especially in the event of consuming alcohol and not eating for more than 6 hours, in addition to consuming alcohol and sleeping without eating may lead to a decrease in blood sugar for a long period extending throughout the period of sleep; this in itself may lead to a number of health problems, It is worth noting that the decreased Diabetes caused by alcohol consumption leads to a decrease in the number of important neurotransmitters in the brain, which in turn leads to a feeling of addiction to alcohol and its addiction.
Anorexia nervosa can be defined as an eating disorder caused by a group of psychological, genetic, and environmental factors. This type of eating disorder is the person’s abstinence from eating or eating very small amounts of food for fear of being overweight, Some people with this condition may also intentionally vomit or take a large number of laxatives and take a number of other actions to prevent a large amount of food from being eaten. This problem leads to people suffering from anorexia nervosa from very low weight, and because of the lack of availability The primary elements that help the liver produce glucose, or glycogen, may lower blood sugar levels than normal for these people and may even threaten a person’s life in severe cases.
Some liver diseases
Infection with certain types of liver disease may lead to suffering from a decrease in the level of blood sugar from the normal rate in the event of damage to the liver, which affects its ability to produce glucose, which in turn leads to disturbance of blood sugar, and low sugar may occur Blood is one of the symptoms associated with complications from cirrhosis.
The adrenal glands produce many important hormones in the body that affect the regulation and production of glucose sugar, where the adrenaline hormone is secreted in the event of exposure to a severe situation or fear, which leads to an increase in the speed of the heartbeat, Blood pressure, high blood sugar, and a number of other changes in the body. Cortisol is responsible for regulating glucose production in the liver, as well as a number of other hormones, so an adrenal disorder may lead To disturb the sugar levels in blood, and suffering from low levels in the normal level.
The pituitary gland works to produce many important hormones in the body as well, such as Growth hormone, which plays a role in the regularity of blood sugar levels. In the normal position, growth hormone works to inhibit the work of insulin, and it has It was found that a decrease in growth hormone might make an individual more sensitive to insulin action, and thus could expose him to low blood sugar.
The risk of a lower blood sugar level is higher than the normal level in people with a chronic kidney disease in conjunction with diabetes, as people with chronic kidney disease suffer from loss of appetite and a mealtime disturbance which in turn may lead to a blood sugar disorder, in addition to That in the event of diabetes and low kidney efficiency in the affected person, the time is taken to get rid of insulin, and some other medicines used in the treatment of diabetes from blood through the kidneys may rise, which increases the effect of these drugs and a decrease in blood sugar To the normal level, so people with chronic kidney disease and diabetes should consult a doctor periodically to work to adjust the dose of diabetes medications to suit the stage of chronic kidney disease.
Increased insulin secretion
Low blood sugar level may be due to the normal increase or excess of insulin secretion, which may occur as a result of a rare type of pancreatic tumor known as a fractional tumor or insulin tumor, and some may also suffer People with a bulge of beta cells that are responsible for insulin production in the pancreas, which leads to excessive insulin production as well.
Reactive Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is known to be between two to five hours after eating food,  the cause of this type of low blood sugar is unknown in many cases, but in some other cases it may The doctor is able to determine the cause of the condition, the following is an indication of some of the reasons that may lead to suffering from reactive hypoglycemia:
- Incidence of insulin tumor.
- Suffering from a deficiency in some enzymes responsible for breaking down food in the body.
- Use of a high dose of insulin by a person with diabetes.
- Undergoing Gastric bypass surgery, which may affect the body’s ability to absorb nutrients.
- Suffering from some genetic metabolic disorders
Fasting hypoglycemia is known as low blood sugar caused by not eating for a long time, and it should be noted that fasting does not usually lead to low hypoglycemia in healthy people, Symptoms of Low Sugar and Causes of Low Sugar. but some diseases, health problems, and use Some medications may impair the body’s ability to maintain a normal blood sugar level during fasting
Read this Article: